Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Week 1 Day 3

Last night I got a wonderful 8 hours of sleep.  I was so tired last night that I left laundry and dishes for my hubby to do while I went to sleep...but that happens a lot here.  I have a really good husband.

I woke up this morning and instead of leaving breakfast as the last thing I did before we left, I did it first. One slice of turkey bacon, 3 egg whites scrambled with some diced orange bell pepper and green onion.  I sent a photo to my food coach and got the seal of approval.  It still feels completely weird to eat at 7 am, but I'll get used to it.  It makes me thirsty which is great, because I need to drink at least a gallon of water a day.  I've come close, but I don't think I've made it quite to the gallon marker yet.  I did buy some sparkling water today, so I can have something fizzy.

I took the kids to school and, armed with my water bottle and heart rate monitor, I headed for Step Class.  I got there just a few minutes early...which apparently was late.  The place was PACKED and there were no more step things left.  I didn't know what I was going to do to burn my 500 calories for the day, until I saw an email from the food coach.  It was a workout plan.  It took me several minutes to figure out what it was telling me to do for the cardio days.  (I haven't even made an attempt to figure out the muscle days yet.)  When I did figure it out, I realized I was going to be running.  Yikes!  I'm not good at it and I don't like it.  I went home and tried it.  I thought I was going to die.  I was breathing hard, my legs were BURNING, and my ears started hurting...and this is after 3 minutes of jogging.  I went as long as I could, then walked for a minute or so, then jogged again for as long as could and kept this up for 10 minutes...which, according to my plan, was my warm up.

I started getting nervous about how much time I had left until I had to pick up Little One from preschool and how I wasn't going to burn enough calories in that time frame to make my goal.  I tried not to over think it and just kept going.  I ended up jogging down my street, running back to my house, walking around my van, and doing that over and over until I thought I was going die...and that took about 12 minutes.  Then I did some jogging and walking to cool down for a few minutes before I went to get Little One.

That was so hard.  Harder than being the slowest, clumsiest person in the classes at the Y.  I was told to check out YouTube for help.  Who knew?  I did and I read some of the comments and it sounds like I'm pretty typical for someone who is just learning to run.  I can't believe I have to do this every other day.  God help me.  I really hope I get the hang of it and soon.  When I was miserably running today, my mind went to its comfort zone and started saying stuff like, "you're not cut out for this" and "you're not good at this and never going to be, so give up".  I called BS on that.  I'm going to figure this out and make my goal.  Here's to bikini shopping this weekend!

The rest of the day was a bit better.  I had a much easier time making my lunch since there were some leftovers from last nights dinner.  I had 1 1/2 Chile Lime Chicken Burgers from Trader Joe's.  Super yummy, although I will probably need to figure out how to make my own with ground chicken breast instead of just ground chicken.  Along side I had some steamed broccoli and 1/3 cup black beans.  I loaded everything up with some fresh Serrano Salsa, which is my new favorite condiment.  Four tablespoons at 10 calories!

We carried the Mexican theme right into dinner with some flank steak fajitas.  I had really been looking forward to this because it meant that we could all eat the same thing together.  I'm pretty tired of making different food for the kids and doing 2 sets of dishes after each meal.  Eventually, I will learn how to do this so they are eating closer to what I am eating instead of a typical, carb heavy kid diet.  But I need to get way more comfortable with doing this for myself first.

Dinner didn't really end up going as well as I was hoping it would.  I was doing all the prep work and hoping Darab would walk through the door so he could go out in the cold and BBQ the flank steak.  The kids wouldn't stop...being kids.  Fighting, talking, playing.  It was all too much for me.  I was hungry, tired and maybe going through sugar and bread withdrawal?  I've lost my patience and dinner wasn't nearly as satisfying as I was hoping.  My husband came to the rescue again and put the kids to bed.  I am so grateful for his support.  I have some calories left to spend today, so I'm going to go for a sure thing... a berry smoothie.

Even though today was a little frustrating, it wasn't unbearable.  I made it though and I'll do it again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment